My photo
Athens, Ohio, United States
"Art and love are the same thing. It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you."

Monday, March 1, 2010

Bojalad Sells Out

Attention, ladies and gents!

I have now joined the great and storied tradition of citizen journalism. Instead of merely toiling away at this soul-sucking blog, I will be toiling away at the soul-sucking media conglomerate known as Examiner.com.

What is the Examiner.com, you ask? I'll let our good old friend, Wikipedia explain:

Examiner.com is a media company based in Denver, Colorado, that operates a network of hyperlocal news websites, allowing citizen journalists to share their city-based knowledge on a blog-like platform, in over 100 markets throughout the United States and parts of Canada.[1][2][3] Examiner.com is a division of Clarity Media Group, with the primary investor being conservative businessman, billionaire Philip Anschutz, owner of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), Regal Cinemas, and other media and entertainment companies.[1][2][4] Examiner.com claims to have 21,000 contributors, commonly referred to as "Examiners", in addition to the citizen journalists at NowPublic, a Vancouver-based website purchased by Examiner.com in September 2009.

As you can see, I left the footnotes in for veracity's sake. But why would I do such a thing you ask? Let's read one sentence on in the aforementioned Wikipedia entry:

The company has been criticized for the low compensation received by many "Examiners", and the lack of editorial oversight, including accusations of plagiarism.[2][6][7][5]

So the Examiners receive low compensation? You know what that means? I ACTUALLY GET COMPENSATED! Screw Journalistic integrity...Bojalad's got to ged paid, son.

My position at Examiner.com will be under the "Cleveland"and "Arts and Entertainment" sections and I will be one of three Cleveland TV Examiners. Here are the other two if you would like to read them. I recently submitted my first blog entry and will let you all know the moment it appears on the actual site. I will place the link for my new page at the right of under "My Collective Unconscious" safely nestled under the new Backdrop website. I will also post the link to my newest entry at Examiner on the Collective(ly) Unconscious the second it posts.

What does this mean for the Collective(ly) Unconscious? Probably nothing. I can guarantee that you will not see another TV-based blog on this website for the duration of my stay at Examiner.com. Why would I waste my precious words here when someone is going to pay me to spout them at another URL?

Undoubtedly, I will have thoughts on things other than television that I will want to communicate to the world. And when the inspiration strikes, the Collective(ly) Unconscious will still be here.

I hope you will be as well.

3 comments:

Hans K. Meyer said...

Congrats Alex! If you need some advice, I helped start a citizen journalism site MyMissourian so I sort of know what I'm talking about. I think it will be a great experience for you. I might have you speak to my online journalism class. Students don't seem to get the concept of citizen journalism easily.

curiousgab said...

Congratulations number 1. How did you stumble into this?

The A.G.B said...

Thank you, sir! For future congratulatory purposes, however, my name is "Alec" with a "c." I forgive you. Sometimes I am convinced my name is really "Alex" as well. I would certainly come speak to your online journalism class. Just tell them it was your idea so they don't think I am pretentious.