My photo
Athens, Ohio, United States
"Art and love are the same thing. It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you."

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Morning Links pt. 2

Well, it has been a good weekend for me, I ate my own weight in buffalo wings at my new favorite restaurant (I am curious to hear some guesses, A-Towners), saw a pretty good film in Choke (fun and bizarre but not the masterpiece Fight Club is) and watched/endured the Bobcats shaky first win of the season against a vastly inferior opponent. Now it is time to cap off the whole experience with a (very very early) Sunday Morning Links...and hopefully, a fantasy football win!

-First up is this little number: 
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20228603,00.html
I gotta say, the good folks at Entertainment Weekly have outdone themselves with this cover. It is brilliant! One of the many reasons I subscribe, along with Jessica Shaw's report on what is cool of course.

- Now if I had read this terrific article before embarking on my "Anonymous" post, I am not sure I would have bothered. This writer does a lot better job of describing the phenomenon and its implications: http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article4173635.ece

- I love pop and essential culture as much as the next guy but music has never really been my thing. I just don't have an ear for it and it just not as big a part of my life as it is for many of my peers. But, I gotta say, I stumbled on these dudes about a year ago and they are the only indie band on planet Earth I can stand. That in and of itself warrants a listen: 
http://www.myspace.com/kaykayunderground

- Here is a good one for all you Dark Knight fans, and by "Dark Knight fans" I mean everyone with a pulse. This is a pretty in-depth analysis written by a critic I had never heard of but whose work I will now pursue:
http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2008/09/21/sense-of-wonder-dark-knights-politics-of-noir/

- And finally, I must succumb to a little bit of self-promotion. The Bobcat Blogs site is now up and producing some pretty original and intriguing material regarding all Ohio University sports. I urge that all sports fans check us out. You won't be disappointed: www.bobcatblogs.net

And with that, I take my leave. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and R.I.P Paul Newman.


1 comment:

Woozie said...

That Batman piece was very interesting, even if the author's capitalizing MOVIE TITLES got a bit annoying.