My photo
Athens, Ohio, United States
"Art and love are the same thing. It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you."

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Morning Links pt. 11

As a staunch Harry Potter-head it was hard for me to figure out what to make of this little Twilight phenomenon.

Part of me wanted to embrace it: "Look! Here is other fiction that deals with supernatural elements!" And part of me wanted to shun it: "Look! Here is other supernatural fiction that will compete with Harry Potter for attention!"

Ultimately, I came down on the side of ignorance. I largely left the books alone and resolved to never read one word. Being the entertainment junky that I am though, I did manage to glean some information about this vampiric series (enough information to inadvertently spoil a crucial plot point in book 3 for my girlfriend, apparently). It sounded decent, but not really for me.

Then came a boring Saturday night with nothing to do. You know how the rest plays out.... "let's go to the movies!" So I packed the girlfriend, friends and brother into the ol' Jeep and went on my merry way to the nearest Cinemark. Said girlfriend had already seen Twilight and said it was an unmitigated disaster, which naturally meant I had to see it.

While I have now seen it. Annnnnnnnnnnddddd.........

It's actually pretty good.

Having never read the books, I got the unique experience of being the only one in the theater who didn't know how it was all going to end (although one wouldn't have to think long to guess it). It certainly doesn't come close to Harry Potter in my eyes, but then again, I don't think it really wants to. It is a relatively "small" picture. It had a small budget, a small running time (for the huge tome it was adapted from anyway, and a release date that is traditionally associated with small-scale films. 

Twilight told a fairly entertaining, if original, story and told it pretty well. The lead actors completely sold me and thanks to their charm, I never really fell out of the loop or was disinterested in the outcome of the plot. Aside from a few hiccups and an awkwardly accelerated ending, I dug the thing.

S0 there you have it, now here are your Links:

- You know what really blows? This. 

- Gamblers beware, the National Football League is now the Wild West. There is no home-field advantage anymore. And that is not a good thing.

- I can't tell if this is good news or bad news but I know it certainly gives me a chuckle.

- Need anymore proof that the War on Terror is an absolute success? Girl-bands.

- And finally, one of the web's best bloggers treats us to one of his earlier, very special posts in the tradition of giving thanks.

Well that's all for today. I have to go read Deathly Hallows to atone for my sins.

1 comment:

Cassie The Venomous said...

See, that was exactly how I felt about Twilight. I had never read the books (almost to the point of protesting them), but I just had to see the movie.

I couldn't help but feeling strange about how they kept calling the actor I knew as Cedric Edward, though. :]