My photo
Athens, Ohio, United States
"Art and love are the same thing. It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you."

Monday, February 9, 2009

Being Right is Such a Drag

Why is it that the Award show I hate the most, I predicted the outcome the best?

Maybe Bojaladamus really did exist last Friday. Maybe praying to Lucifer for the answers actually did help me. Or maybe the Grammys are just too easy for a cynic like me to predict. I think I am going to go with the Lucifer one. 

But seriously, 3 out of 4 is considered an absolute triumph for me (much like I consider a 75% on any test a miracle). If I cared about the music industry a little more though, I think I would be upset about being right. What we just witnessed last night was Herbie Hancock Part Two.

Think of it this way: in the past two years, we have been treated to many classic albums and musical acts. Any sensible person will look back at the past two years and see art like Jay-Z's American Gangster, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Coldplay's Viva la Vida, Kanye West's Graduation and Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III (for the record, I think all of these are great except for Lil Wayne). And any sensible person would conclude reasonably that these albums musically defined the time in which they were released. Then that sensible person would look at which two albums Grammys decided to anoint as the best our time had to offer and see that in 2007 they chose a 67-year-old's experimental Jazz album and an album from a pretty Bluegrass singer and a 1970's Rock God whose combined ages are 97. 

Well done, Grammys. When I think of our music in the late '00s. I definitely think of Herbie Hancock and Robert Plant's mullet.

To be fair, it is not like our generation made a particularly strong showing. R&B crooner Chris Brown (who is only 11 months older than I am) celebrated his Grammy nomination by beating up an unidentified woman, widely speculated to be America's Sweetheart, Rihanna. Now, I know that domestic abuse isn't necessarily a new thing in America and I know that hundreds of thousands, probably millions of women have been physically harassed by their significant other but...Rihanna?!?!?!?

Oh C.B, you fucked up...you fucked up big time. Rihanna is basically one of the most inherently likable human beings the United States of America have left. I am a cynical recluse who shuns humanity at every given opportunity and even I think Rihanna is pretty swell. Say the word "Umbrella" in America or Europe and count how many people shout back "ella, ella, hey, hey, hey." Shame on you, Chris Brown. You almost single-handedly justified a 60-year-old winning Album of the Year.

I didn't quite watch the whole ceremony but I am getting the impression that Radiohead rocked the house. I haven't seen it yet, so let's experience that together.


Yep, that rocked. I am starting to think the only reason I enjoyed the movie Twilight is that they played "15 Step" over the end credits.

And to conclude my first and probably last extensively music blog of 2009 (unless My Chemical Romance releases their next album within the year), Mid 1990s Pop-punk fans had a BIG night. Most people are probably buzzing about Blink 182's reunion and I can wrap my head around that. Blink 182 were pretty respectable back in the day. But I am more excited about the band that Blink 182 copied their sound off of: Green Day. America's Idiots announced the final award of the night and the omniscient voice over the auditorium's loud speaker announced the name of their forthcoming album.

21st Century Breakdown. Color me intrigued, very intrigued.

Come back Wednesday when I will stop pretending to care about the music business.

1 comment:

Woozie said...

All my favorite artists die or are already dead. You best hope I don't start liking Green Day.